Monday, April 5, 2010

APRIL 5, 2010 - TO UFE OR NOT TO UFE?

Here are my reasons for wanting a UFE instead of a hysterectomy:

1. I do not want to remove an organ unless it is necessary.

2. I do not want to have a hysterectomy for the sole reason of not having to have periods anymore. This is the main reason given to me by several doctors over the years, by the way!

3. The UFE is safer and has less complications.

4. The recovery time for a hysterectomy is 6-8 weeks. The recovery time for a UFE is 1-2 weeks. I am a business owner, and the job I do there, no one else can do, so this is a consideration. But even if I did nothing all day, I would still want to have the shorter recupe time.

When my mother was in her forties, she had a full hysterectomy because she was having heavy periods. No one offered any options. They just told her to do it and she did.

When my sister was in her forties, the same thing happened to her. The only difference was that she was given an option to have a less invasive procedure, and she turned it down.

Neither of these women did any research of any kind. They just had their organs removed. They thought it would be "fun" not to have to have a period.

If it is a matter of life or death, and there are no other options available to me, I will relinquish my organs. If it is a matter of quality of life, and there are no other options available to me, I will relinquish my organs.

At this point, it is not a matter of life or death, but my quality of life has been severely diminished! This last month, I was down, unable to function, for at least two weeks, not to mention a trip to the ER, and another week of feeling unwell, being in pain, but able to function. This can't go on, so something has to be done.

If there is a safer, easier way to solve the problem than having a hysterectomy, I'm taking it!

By the way, no judgmental feelings toward anyone who has decided to have a hysterectomy that was not necessary. I honestly do not understand why someone, like my sister, would choose to do that if it is not necessary, but that is her and she obviously did not share my feelings.

I guess it goes without saying that I also have no judgmental feelings toward someone who had no choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment