Sunday, April 18, 2010

APRIL 18, 2001 - HOSPITAL STAY UPDATE

My pneumonia is getting better. They are taking me off of IV antibiotics and putting me on pills.

The results of my CT scan show a buildup of fluid in my abdomen, but they don't know what it is yet. Due to some sort of internal bleeding, my hemoglobin count had gone from 8.9 down to 7.4, so I had to get a transfusion of one unit of blood.

This morning, my hemoglobin is back up to 8.9.

Around noon today, I had another severe pain episode that lasted an hour. I had to have my abdomen, lower back and top right leg packed in ice and take pain killers to try to cope. It was very difficult.
My Chicago doctor thinks that the tumor may have broken off and is trying to "escape". In a small percentage of patients, a second surgery has to be done to remove the tumor.

This could explain why my pain is worse every day instead of better. The Chicago doctor and the Joliet doc tor are going to talk on the phone today and see if I should be transferred back to Chicago.

Typing this has made me sick to my stomach again, so I will write no more for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment