Friday, March 18, 2016

DAY 78 - 2016 WEIGHT LOSS AND BLOOD GLUCOSE CHALLENGE

January 11, 2016

Today is Day 78

Weight goal - 138.6 or lower
Actual weight - 141

Blood glucose goal - 79 or lower
Actual blood glucose - 95

Today is a Fast Day.



For me, that means that all I will have today is water, coffee, tea, or broth, all without caloric sweeteners or fat.  Each day, I will weigh in, check my fasting blood glucose, find out if I will feast or fast that day, update my chart and post it here on the big blog. I'm posting it to motivate myself not to give up, and if I think that anyone is looking at this, it will help to keep me accountable.

According to my numbers, I was supposed to fast yesterday, but because it was a holiday, I decided to eat.  I had eggs, cream cheese and butter and a BPC for breakfast, a Polish sausage and cole slaw for lunch, and corned beef, cabbage and carrots for dinner. 

The thing that I am getting concerned about is my FBG on the days after I eat.  It just does not want to come down, even into the 80s, increasingly more often.  I am beginning to wonder if I am going to be able to eat every other day when the challenge is over and still maintain my low weight and low FBG.

I guess I won't be having any of the corned beef leftovers!  I will also probably be fasting tomorrow, too.

77 DAYS DOWN AND 14 DAYS TO GO

50 FEAST DAYS AND 28 FAST DAYS - FASTING 36% OF THE DAYS

13 POUNDS GONE AND 5 POUNDS TO GO

72% OF THE WAY TO MY GOAL AFTER 86% OF THE DAYS

7-DAY AVERAGE WEIGHT - 140.2

7-DAY AVERAGE FASTING BLOOD GLUCOSE - 87

I made a few charts to track my progress.  The grey lines are my long term goals. The blue lines are my actual results.  The red lines are my 7-day averages. The last chart is a little heat map to show at a glance how often I have actually had to fast to achieve the results I am after. Click on any chart or photo to enlarge it.


This is a personal challenge just for me, but if anyone reading would like to join me, please talk to your doctor and make sure that it will not conflict with your current medical condition or medications.  If you are taking the challenge, please be sure to let me know how you are doing!  Thanks for reading!

To find out more about this challenge - the rules and how it started - click here.

2 comments:

  1. Fasting seems to work incredibly well for a lot of people, but I've heard it doesn't work so well for women (I myself don't feel I do very well on it, beyond my general IF 16:8). The reason being that it can raises cortisol, which then raises BG. I admire you for trying fasting so successfully, and for such a long period of time, but maybe the results of the experiment are that it doesn't really work for you? It'll be interesting to see what your daily BG looks like when you resume "normal" eating patters after this 90-day challenge. All best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy!

      I just listened to a webinar on fasting women. The consensus was that fasting can be less than good for women who are trying to conceive. I am well past that phase of my life, so I have nothing to worry about there!

      I'm not sure why you think that my results are not going well. So far, so good!

      If this ends up "not working" for me, then I am doomed, because nothing really works for me that is sustainable. I can lose weight on low fat, high carb, but I starve the whole time and cannot keep it up.

      Counting every single bite of food that goes into my mouth works, too, but it drives me crazy and I cannot keep it up.

      If this experiment is a success, it means that I will never resume "normal" eating patterns again, unless I don't mind gaining all the weight back and feeling horrible.

      Time will tell!

      Delete