|Click photo to enlarge|
I finally have my spice cake recipe perfected. I wanted something that would take the place of carrot cake, and this fills the bill for me. The inspiration was the Muffin in a Minute (MIM) that is posted on the Atkins Community Forum.
This recipe makes 6 individual cakes.
Ingredients for the cake:
84g (3 oz. or 3/4 cup) finely ground flax seed
3/4 tsp. double acting baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbs. olive oil
27 drops Stevia sweetener
3 Tbs. water
Directions for the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Spray a muffin top pan (6 muffin size) with cooking spray.
3. Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, oil, Stevia and water.
5. Add dry ingredients to eggs, and mix well.
6. Equally fill the muffin pan, and let rest for 2 minutes before baking.
7. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.
Ingredients for the frosting:
3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
18 drops Stevia sweetener
3 Tbs. IsoPure Zero Carb Protein Powder, Creamy Vanilla Flavor
Directions for the frosting:
1. In a shallow bowl or plate, use a fork to cream together the cream cheese, vanilla extract and Stevia.
2. Add protein powder and mix well.
Putting it all together:
When the cakes have cooled to room temperature, spread the frosting over the tops. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutritional information per individual cake:
15.8 g fat
6.5g total carbs
4.6g dietary fiber
1.9g net carbs
I eat two of these cakes along with a salad for lunch. They could also be used as a dessert.