Sunday, November 21, 2010

BRANCH CHAIN AMINO ACIDS - THE MAGIC BULLET FOR MY WEIGHT LOSS?

One week ago, I started taking Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA).  It was suggested in the book The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle by Drs. Michael A. and Mary Dan Eades.  I tried doing the diet, but gave up after only a few days, for reasons I talked about on this blog.  But I did not stop taking the BCAA.

I bought this at GNC.  Here is what I take every day:

With breakfast - 2500mg L-Leucine, 833mg L-Isoleucine, 833mg L-Valine
With lunch - 2500mg L-Leucine, 833mg L-Isoleucine, 833mg L-Valine
Before bed - 2500mg L-Leucine, 833mg L-Isoleucine, 833mg L-Valine

I have done this now for seven days.  Without changing what I am eating or the amount of activity I am getting, I have started losing body fat and inches and have started gaining lean mass.

I have lost 1.2 pounds of body fat.

I have gained 0.2 pounds of lean mass.

I have lost 1/4" around my waist.

I have lost 1/4" around my neck.

I have lost 1/2" around my hips.

I have lost 0.6% body fat, going from 33.7% to 33.1%, which is the lowest body fat percentage that I have had since starting to lose weight in February 2009.  Even when I weighed less than I do now (summer 2009), my body fat percentage was not this low.

So I am definitely changing my body composition.  Can I credit the BCAA for this?  It might be too soon to tell, but I'm sure not going to stop taking it!

You might think that my changes are not that drastic, but this is coming after a stall that has lasted over a year, and my body fat has never been this low.

No comments:

Post a Comment