Wednesday, May 25, 2011

BACON FLAX MUFFINS

Bacon Flax Muffins - Click to Enlarge
 I've been thinking about this one for a while, and I couldn't find a recipe for it on the web, so I finally came up with a recipe of my own for these bacon-y muffins.

When I made them for the first time the other day, I ate two while they were still warm, with butter.  I put the rest in a sealed container in the fridge, and when I had some the next day, the bacon flavor had intensified.

These muffins are a variation of the Muffin in a Minute (MIM) that is posted on the Atkins Community Forum.



This recipe makes 6 muffins.  I usually have two at a time, but the nutritional information is for one muffin.

Bacon Flax Muffins

Cooking spray
84g (3 oz. or 3/4 cup) finely ground flax seed
3/4 tsp. double acting baking powder (I use aluminum free)
1/8 tsp. sea salt
3 eggs
1 Tbs. melted bacon grease
6 drops Stevia sweetener (optional)
3 Tbs. water
3 thick slices uncured, nitrate/nitrite free bacon, cooked crisp and chopped finely (I used my mini food processor).

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

2. Spray a muffin top pan (6 muffin size) with cooking spray (I use organic coconut oil spray), or grease manually with butter, olive oil or coconut oil.

3. Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl.

4. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, Stevia and water.  As you continue to beat, drizzle in the liquid bacon grease.  Stir in chopped bacon.

5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.

6. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin pan and let rest for 2 minutes before baking.

7. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.  Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container.  The bacon flavor is better after refrigeration, in my opinion.

Nutritional information for one muffin:

185 calories
14.5g fat
9.2g protein
4.5g total carbs
3.8g dietary fiber
0.7g net carbs
296mg sodium

(Update, today I tried adding 3/4 tsp. onion powder to this recipe.  Yummy!  If you do that, be sure to add about a 1/4 of a gram of carb to the count above.)

No comments:

Post a Comment