Thursday, April 21, 2011

STARTING PHYSICAL THERAPY - TAKE THREE

I just saw my new PT. She disagrees with what the other PTs have told me. Big surprise. Here are some of the salient points:

1) Adhesive Capsulitis (Frozen Shoulder) is the most painful PT that there is. It is less painful to have a total knee reconstruction.

2) The PT is so painful that I will have to be doped up on narcotics for each session (three times per week) in order to be able to tolerate the pain. The less conscious I am, the better, so that means I have to be driven to and from each session. I do not tolerate these narcotics well, which means that I will spend the rest of the day in bed after each therapy session.

3) I get to have a machine at my house that I get strapped into a few times per day that will stretch my shoulder.

4) I have to do 15-20 minutes of PT on myself every two waking hours.

5) My husband needs to learn how to PT me at home for the things that I cannot do to myself.

6) My left (good) shoulder is giving out because of overuse, and is becoming very painful.

7) The therapy will take a few to several months, and every step will be very painful.

8) Although the other PTs have told me that my muscle spasms are involuntary, the new PT says that I am doing it consciously and I need to learn to control my muscle spasms with my will power. I need to learn to concentrate and will my muscles not to go into a spasm.

9) After the shoulder is released, then it will be time to make a decision on whether or not the rotator cuff needs to be surgically repaired.

10) Basically, my life, for the foreseeable future, revolves around my shoulder. Unfreezing my shoulder will be the focus of each day. It's a good thing that I am not working outside the home, because if I was, the PT said I would have to go on disability or quit my job. You cannot work and go through this rehabilitation at the same time.

Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. No, I am not happy. I am feeling overwhelmed.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like there are no good options for you and that shoulder. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I hope that you get some relief for your pain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Stephanie! I'm looking ahead to fall. The days fly by when you're having fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Rebecca! I would almost be better to go thru surgery. Tho nasty it would be over. But there is no surgery for that if I remember right. Yup all focus will be on that because you sure don't want to let it stay frozen! Overwhelmed I'm sure!!! And it probably seems the light is a freight train coming at you. You are one tough chickee tho and I got faith in you. You can do this. And what's this about singing???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess going through the two kinds of surgery at one time - one that requires movement afterward and one that requires no movement afterward - is not a good idea.

    After the shoulder is released, I may yet have surgery to repair the torn rotator cuff tendon. We'll see.

    And yes, I am a singer. :0}

    ReplyDelete