Sunday, July 29, 2012

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - WEEK 3 RESULTS

It's been three weeks since I started my experiment with nutritional ketosis.  I am still eating higher fat and lower protein and very low carb.

After two and a half weeks, I decided that I needed to change things up a little bit.  Starting to gain weight and inches this past week is showing me that I may need to scale back on the fat a little bit.  I've been sharing results with some folks over at the Low Carb Friends forum, who are also testing blood ketones and glucose, and they've been nice enough to give me some quotes from the Phinney/Volek book that talk about nutritional ketosis.  Evidently, the book says to only keep fat extremely high if you are a high-performance athlete.  Last time I checked, I was not one of those.  The book says that you will always keep your protein and carbs at the same level, and increase or decrease fat based on your weight gain or loss desires.

So, two days ago, I started cutting back on fats.  I also increased my carbs, but only a little bit - 7 grams.  After a week of this, we'll see how I am doing.

Here are some of my charts:


In summary, in the past 3 weeks:
I lost 1/4" around my neck, 1-7/8" around my waist and 1/2" around my hips.
I lost 3.2 pounds on the scale (lost 4.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.6 pounds of lean mass).
I went down 2.5 percentage points on my body fat.
I went down 0.037 points on my waist-to-hip ratio.

If you want to know exactly what I am eating, look here, and then you can click the page numbers at the bottom to see each individual day.

Because I changed the way I was eating halfway through the week, my averages are a little skewed. Here is the average of what I actually ate last week, but I am leaving out Wednesday because the cake and ice cream thing completely threw everything off.

1740 calories
159.3g fat (82.4%)
54.5g protein (12.5%)
22g carbs (5.1%)

Just in case you are curious, this is what Wednesday looked like, after eating normally all day and then adding the cake and ice cream:

2635 calories
213.2g fat (72.8%)
61.5g protein (9.3%)
117.3g carbs (17.8%)

The weird thing about this is that these are the breakdowns of what the USDA tells us we should be eating.  They would want me to eat even more carbs than this, and obviously, a lot less fat.

For the coming week, my food will look like this:

1539 calories
135g fat (79%)
54g protein (14%)
27g carbs (7%)

I tested my blood ketones six times this past week.  Here are my results since I started testing:



I did not test my blood glucose three times per day like I did last week, because I could see that the way I was eating was keeping my blood sugar stable.  So I tested now and then, and these are my averages, not including the day that I ate cake and screwed everything up, and as you can see, I still have not fully recovered from that sugar load on July 25th:



I am continuing my experiment.  I am definitely in nutritional ketosis, so the only thing that remains is for me to find out the right amount of fat to eat so that I lose my excess body fat.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca! I admire you for digging deep to find the answers. Following your lead and doing good! Thanks again for all of your help!

    --Jeannie B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannie! We'll get to the bottom of this yet!

      Delete