Wednesday, July 18, 2012

BACON AND ONION BISCUITS

Which objection to the low carb, high fat way of eating do we hear the most?

       a) It's unhealthy to eat saturated fat.

       b) That diet is unbalanced.

       c) If you don't eat bread, what do you use to sop up your egg yolk with breakfast?

If you guessed "c", you have a one in three chance of being right.  Just in case that is your objection, or you're missing bread, here is a recipe that I came up with this morning after getting in on a conversation on Facebook about low-carb flours.  I usually don't eat any kind of "bready" things, like, uh..., bread or, uh..., breaded things.  Plus, even the low carb flour is still pretty carby at 22 grams per 1/4 cup.  But just talking about how I don't eat bready things, got me in the mood for a bready thing, so I whipped up this version of the standard MIM (Muffin in a Minute) and I think this would be a great thing to use to sop up those egg yolks, or just sop up melted butter, which is what I just did!  I thought about using sauteed onions in the biscuits, but they are pretty carby and I am really low carb right now, so I used onion powder, and the taste was great!  The biscuits are obviously a little heavier than your common, flour-driven biscuits, but they fit the bill for me.  Add 1 Tbs. of butter to your biscuit, and you have a great, high fat, low carb treat!


BACON AND ONION BISCUITS

Recipe makes 6

Cooking spray (I use organic coconut oil)
3 oz. (3/4 cup) finely ground flax seed
3/4 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
1/8 tsp. sea salt
3 eggs
6 drops Stevia sweetener (optional)
3 Tbs. water
1 Tbs. melted bacon grease
3 thick slices uncured, nitrate/nitrite free bacon, cooked crisp and chopped finely (I use my mini food processor).

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

2. Spray a muffin top pan (6 muffin size) with cooking spray, or grease generously with butter, olive oil or coconut oil.

3. Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl.

4. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, Stevia and water.  As you continue to beat, drizzle in the bacon grease.  Stir in the chopped bacon.

5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.

6. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin pan and let rest for 2 minutes before baking.

7. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.  Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container.  They are great right away, and the bacon flavor gets even better after refrigeration, in my opinion.

Nutritional information for one biscuit:
187 calories
14.6g fat
9.2g protein
4.7g total carbs
3.8g dietary fiber
0.9g net carbs

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They were so good, Cori, that I had to eat two!

      Delete
  2. These onion biscuits seems really very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! Have you whipped up any yet, or are you just guessing? :0)

      Delete
  3. Have you tried Oopsies? There's a LOT of ways to fix those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that I'm going to try an Oopsie roll, and I have never gotten around to it! I'm a bad, bad low carber!

      Delete