Saturday, July 21, 2012

MY FIRST ARTICLE AT CARBSMART.COM

Well, I've been keeping a little secret from my readers.  I didn't want to say anything, in case nothing came of it, but when I met Andrew DiMino at the Low Carb Meet & Greet this summer, he asked me if I would be interested in writing for his online magazine, CarbSmart.com.  I thought about it for a few days, wrote an article and emailed Andrew, saying, "The answer is 'yes' and here is an article for you to consider."  And guess what!  He liked it!  It went through a little editing with Dana Carpender and was published very late last night.


I am so tickled to be joining the ranks of Andrew DiMino, Dana Carpender, Amy Dungan, Jimmy Moore and others, in writing articles about the low carb movement and my personal journey in weight loss and improving health.

This is my article to the left, entitled "The Carbiest Generation." Here is a short excerpt:

When future generations look back upon today’s generation, what will they see?  What will set us apart in the timeline of human history?  What contributions have we made to humanity that will define us in a word or a phrase?  Some people in the Low Carb Movement think we will be known as “The First Modern Generation Where the Children Had a Shorter Life Span than Their Parents,” but that’s a little wordy.  I feel a better name would be “The Carbiest Generation,” because, when it comes down to a pretty important aspect of our humanity – our overall health and very existence — this encompasses all that has gone wrong.  Blame it on the food guidelines that have been handed down to us by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and promoted by our government starting in 1977.  That’s when George McGovern took it upon himself to change the way America eats by vilifying saturated fat and cholesterol and glorifying carbohydrates.  In case you don’t remember what happened back then, or were not even born yet, this short video by Tom Naughton summarizes the dubious wisdom and eventual adoption of the tenets of The McGovern Report.  (Read the full article here.)

2 comments:

  1. I think this is so cool, Becca! They are fortunate to have you writing for them. Best of luck with that endeavor. I look forward to catching your articles. I've bookmarked CarbSmart onto my toolbar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy! I plan on writing more, but I am working full time now, and I have not been able to find the time lately! I have another article in the works about nutritional ketosis, and I hope to submit that one soon.

      Delete