Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - Drama in the ER

It was just like a scene out of an episode of House. I was in the ER this morning, in terrific pain and begging for painkillers. I already had an IV in for fluids, so they gave me an IV push of morphine.

Just as the last drop of the drug was entering my vein, I was talking to the nurse, and suddenly, in mid sentence, I stopped talking, dropped my water glass and fell lifeless onto the gurney. I felt like a giant hand was pushing me down and I was burning hot. I could hear the nurse asking me if I could hear her. I felt the doctor pushing on my sternum to rouse me. I could neither respond nor move.

I sensed Bill standing there, and thought, "Well, this is certainly dramatic." And then I thought "This is what it feels like to die."

They pushed an antihistamine into the IV to counteract the morphine, and I lived.

I am now home, feeling better, but I'm facing surgery in a couple of weeks to remove a fibroid tumor, which is the thing causing me the ER-level pain I've been having.

Oh, I'll be glad when this is over! I had this surgery in 1998 and 2005, and I feel so much better afterward!

Here is my problem - I had a good breakfast this morning, and then to the ER, where I spent the rest of the day until dinner time. So I did not each lunch.

So here I am at the end of the day, needing to get in enough food to hit my goal for the day. I am short on everything!

I only have 12 net carbs and 1400 calories. I need 20 net carbs and 1800 calories! And it's 9 o'clock at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment