Sunday, August 5, 2012

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - WEEK 4 RESULTS

It's been four weeks since I started my experiment with nutritional ketosis.  I am eating higher fat, lower protein and very low carb.  After looking at what an average body fat percentage is for a woman my age, I have adjusted my goal, which means I now have only 7.5 pounds of fat left to lose and 0.9 pounds of lean mass left to gain.

Here are some of my charts:


In summary, in the past 4 weeks:
I lost 1-1/8" around my midriff, 2-1/8" around my waist, 7/8" around my navel and 7/8" around my hips.
I lost 4.8 pounds on the scale (lost 6.5 pounds of body fat and gained 1.7 pounds of lean mass).
I went down 3.3 percentage points on my body fat.
I went down 0.036 points on my waist-to-hip ratio.

If you want to know exactly what I am eating, look here, and then you can click the page numbers at the bottom to see each individual day.

Here are the averages of what I ate this past week:

1549 calories
136.4g fat (79.2%)
55.3g protein (14.3%)
25.1g carbs (6.5%)

This was my goal, and I was not too far off:

1539 calories
135g fat (79%)
54g protein (14%)
27g carbs (7%)

I will continue to eat this way for the next week.

I tested my blood ketones one time this past week because the strips are so expensive, and I can see that eating this way is keeping me in nutritional ketosis.  In order to stay there, my level should stay between 1.0 and 3.0.  My average of all the times I have tested is 2.2.  Here are my results since I started testing:


Because I can see that the way I am eating is keeping my blood sugar stable, I am not testing it every day.  I did test two times this past week.  Here are my results since I started testing, and these numbers are excellent:


I am continuing my experiment.  I am in nutritional ketosis, and my blood sugar is normal.  I am not hungry during the day, and I think I have hit on a good amount of fat to be eating.
 

8 comments:

  1. Nice job Rebecca! I love how you've tracked and adjusted to find the right combo of protein/carbs/fat to start losing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cool, Rebecca! I saw your post on Jimmy Moore's FB page. I just started tracking my weigh-ins 2 and a half weeks ago (I have about 90 lbs I'd like to lose) and have been thinking about experimenting with different rations of macronutrients to see what will help me best. I have a terrible time battling my sugar demons, so high protein and/or high fat are pretty much my only option at truly sustainable weight loss.

    Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Kara! Just to be clear, though, what Jimmy and I are doing is not high protein. High protein diets have been shown to cause health problems, so I would not suggest that you do that. High fat, yes! Have you thought about doing nutritional ketosis, which is high fat, moderate protein and very low carb?

      Delete
  3. Good going Rebecca! Glad you have found the sweet spot (dare I call it that) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What time of day are you checking your ketones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca! (Lovely name, by the way...)

      I test my blood ketones first thing in the morning before eating. Are you thinking of testing yours?

      Delete